The first retreat from Scottish weather leaving the boat at Dunstaffnage for a week

When planning this part of the journey it had always been my intention to explore the place one bit at a time and savour every new place - and to do as much of it as I can with Jill. We have been amazingly lucky with the weather and the first ten days were incredible.

The weather prospects have changed for a while - we are heading for some wet and windy 13 degree days. I am a stupid person and am amazingly cold tolerant and I love sailing so much that I would sail in between the showers but I know that Jills increasingly rheumatic hands would be better off gardening at 19 degrees in Oxford than sailing at 13 in scotland.

So on Monday we will be beating our first strategic retreat from the scottish climate and scvuttling off home to cut the grass and live in a big house fort a week. I will return here next week whatever the weather man says - while Jill will wait for the next spell of hot stuff to hit Scotland.

So I am going to leave the boat at Dunstaffnage Marina  - £17 per meter for a weekly rate.

http://www.dunstaffnagemarina.co.uk/

We have spent four nights here now and it ius clean, tiday, the loos are brilliant, the place has a bath, it is easy to get to and easy to park, the cycling around here is excellent and there are even some lovely beaches close by. Oban is a terriffic town. I know the boat will be safe here - although if there is anyone local who would be prepared to drop into the boat mid week and have a peak at the builges for me  that would be a great comfort to an old bloke 600 miles from his boat. She has a minor leak from the starboard keel bolts and a report on how many pints it has let in would be lovely.

 

the plan was to do scotland one bit at a time and mainly when the weather is good. We have been amazingly lucky

As part of the grand plan the general idea is that Jill, dog and myself will sail together when the weather is perfect - as it was for the first ten days.  Now daily temps this week are forecast for 13 with rain. I am amazingly cold tolerant but Jill finds the cooler temps harder to deal with - the cold gets to her hands in particular.

So we are going to leave the boat at Dunstafffnage for a week while waiting for the weather to improve.

 

 

S2120014 lily M

 

 

round mull

 

This is about Dylan Winter's Blog, Sailing around Britain.

8 Responses to “The first retreat from Scottish weather leaving the boat at Dunstaffnage for a week”

  1. 19 June, 2016 at 1:52 amalan blewitt says:

    well judged. no man can beat the weather. No rush,get there in the end safe. A.

  2. 19 June, 2016 at 6:39 amRay says:

    Well timed. See you tomorrow then.
    R

  3. 19 June, 2016 at 8:01 amPeter Truelove says:

    Yes…. Well timed….. You have been very fortunate so far. Surely you have an automatic bilge pump which will keep the bilges dry. P.

  4. 19 June, 2016 at 9:02 amdylan winter says:

    no bilge pump – yet

  5. 19 June, 2016 at 9:05 amdylan winter says:

    looking forward to seeing the lawn – should be spectacular by now

  6. 20 June, 2016 at 5:45 pmSue Johnson says:

    HI Dylan, if you’re home this week, give us a call & pop in for coffee & a chat. Chris now up on his feet after his knee op & may have an item you would find useful.
    Btw- equally awful weather & very cool temps in Suffolk on the boat this weekend:-(

  7. 20 June, 2016 at 6:09 pmdylan winter says:

    oooo a pressie

    going back on sunday is my plan

    with or without jill

    I think she may spend two weeks watching the tennis

    D

  8. 21 June, 2016 at 1:40 pmSue Johnson says:

    Potentially yes, if it’s of use to you!
    Chris in tomorrow (Wed) from about 11 & also most of Thurs/Fri. Give us a call to arrange.
    Tennis a big pull, I have to say.

Leave a Reply